The Eastfield College Library supports the academic goals, cultural pursuits, and personal development of students, faculty, staff, and the neighboring community. In order to provide a safe and welcoming environment conducive to learning at a college level, the Eastfield College Library adheres to Eastfield College’s Operational Memorandum No. 4501 (“Minors on Campus”) as well as the Dallas County Community College District’s Children on Campus Policy and Computer Use Policy. The Library understands that adult users may occasionally need to bring their minor children (all persons under 18 years old) with them to the library. While minors are permitted, the Library expects the full cooperation of adult users and their minor children to abide by the following guidelines.
- Minors must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or legal guardian (i.e., a person legally responsible for the minor) at all times. Library staff are authorized to request proof of legal guardianship from adults accompanied by minors.
- Minors are never to be left unattended in the Library, areas adjacent to the Library, or any other campus area. This is a violation of the Children on Campus Policy and may result in both the adult(s) and minor(s) being asked to leave the Library as well as Campus Police being notified.
- Adults accompanied by minors are exclusively responsible for the safety, comfort, behavior, and activities of the minor(s), as well as ensuring that the minor(s) adhere to the Library’s User Responsibilities Guidelines.
- Minors exhibiting inappropriate and/or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to: loud or excessive noise, running, and any other conduct that interferes with normal college activities. If disturbances continue after one warning, both the adult(s) and minor(s) may be asked to leave the Library.
- Adults accompanied by minors are liable for any damage caused by the minor(s).
- Adults accompanied minors are exclusively responsible for the use and intentional or inadvertent viewing of library resources by minor(s). Library resources are intended to support the college curricula of adult users and may not be appropriate for minors.
- Minors are prohibited from using library computers and other educational technology in the Library. This equipment is intended for adult users and is not filtered for minors.
- Students, faculty, and staff accompanied by minors are welcome to use library computers in the “Parent Zone” area of the Library. This area is located in the West Wing/Reference section of the Library and contains Computers 17-22 (See Appendix A). Computer usage is limited to research and educational purposes only.
- Community users accompanied by minors are prohibited from using library computers.
- Students accompanied by minors are permitted at tutoring centers located within the Library, including the Link Writing Center and the Science Corner. If the student requires computer access for tutoring services, they are limited to their personal computers or library computers in the “Parent Zone”.
- Adults accompanied by minors are permitted to use Group Study Rooms. Adults accompanied by minors are responsible for ensuring that the minor(s) adhere to the Library’s Guidelines for Group Study Room Use.
- DCCCD dual-credit and continuing education students under 18 years old (“minors”) may access library computers. This includes minors participating in children and youth programs (e.g., Camp Harvey). Library staff are authorized to request proof of student status or program participation.
Library Staff Responsibilities
- Library staff will enforce these guidelines.
- Library staff will contact Campus Police for assistance with enforcing these guidelines.
- Library staff will advise adults accompanied by minors of these guidelines upon entering the library.
- Library staff will immediately notify Campus Police of unaccompanied minors or minors not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Appendix A. Eastfield College Library Parent Zone Location
Effective Date: 03.2013 | Revision Date: 07.2016